Section I. Introductory Chapters:
Section II. Designed for Perfection – Introduction and Links to Chapters
- The Teeth – each unique
- The Living Tooth
- Supporting Structures – a hermetic seal
- The TMJ – it all hinges on this
- The Bite – are you centered?
- Esthetics – are you pretty?
Section III. Diseases,Damage and Abnormalities – Introduction and Links to Chapters
- Infection: Decay – the cavity bugs
- Infection: Gum Disease – from gingivitis to loose teeth
- Infection: Into the Pulp
- Grinding Teeth – wear o’ wear have your little teeth gone?
- Toothbrush Abrasion or not? – cavities with no infection
- TMJ Dysfunction and Orofacial Pain – what’s the cause – what to do?
- Crooked Teeth – mixed genes
- Esthetics – deviations from perfection
- Missing Teeth – nature abhors a vacuum
- Soft Tissue and Bone Lesions – systemic or local
Section IV. Diagnosis – collecting information to define the problem – Introduction and Links to Chapters
- PAIN– what Brings you to the Dental Office
- Soft Tissue Examination
- Periodontal charting
- Esthetic Evaluation
- Stress, Anxiety, and patients sense of well-being
- Health History and other Information
Section V. Introduction to Restoration Section, and Intro to Materials, with Links to Chapters
- Opening Ceremonies of the Dental Appointment – anesthesia and isolation
- Fillings: Back teeth – Design and the use of Silver Amalgam
- Fillings: Front teeth – Design and the use of Composite Resin
- Fillings: The rise of adhesive dentistry
- Gold Fillings and Inlays – the ultimate dentistry
- Gold Onlays and Crowns – Posterior Restorations
- Porcelain Onlays and Crowns
- Gold vs Porcelain vs Both!
- Buildups– reconstructing the core of a tooth
- Root Canals – a bum rap?
- Extractions– $1200 or $75?
- Periodontal therapies – scaling and root planning – scraping off the barnacles
- Tooth Replacement – bridges, partial dentures, or implants?
- Implants – new roots?
- The Collapsed Bite – full mouth rehabilitation?
- Full Dentures – all teeth replaced
- Orthodontics– for kids and for grown-ups
- Cosmetic Dentistry – the Hollywood smile
- Dentistry for Kids
Section VI. Treatment Planning – salesmanship or catch-up ballgame?
- Sequence – What to do and in what order
- Alternatives based on patient and financial limitations – all or nothing or something between?
Section VII. Welcome to the Real World
- Training of dental professionals – from the top down
- The Skills of Dentistry
- The Dental Laboratory Technician – who does the rest of the work?
- High Technology – lasers, computers, CAD/CAM and 3D modeling
- Insurance Coverage? – third party payers who don’t want to pay
- Selection of a Dentist – what is their priority?
- The Ethics of Dentistry
- The Business of Dentistry and YOU